🎧 Your favorite John Lennon album.

Ingryd Medeiros

di♡ — @/ceofjohnlennon
John nation, open your hearts and tell us your favorite John Lennon albums! My turn: Walls and Bridges is a kiss on my forehead whenever I need comfort. I don't know why, but I know how: I feel like John was in a moment with so many different emotions inside him all at once that he made pure art. Bless You, my favorite song of all, comes from that album and it touched my heart. I cried, took a deep breath and thought, "This is the John I love." I also feel like he was at a point where expressing himself differently was therapy in the form of melody.

My second favorite album is Plastic Ono Band and I have no words to explain it. It's real, intense, warm and it felt like all of John in one album. While Walls And Bridges calms me down, Plastic Ono Band makes me want to live.

John was so special that everything he touched became special too and that's why he is eternal, he was something else from thos universe.

How about you? Tell me. 🤍
1000256847.jpg
📸 © Tom Zimberoff, November 15, 1973.

I have 2 answers for this depending on how the question is being asked.

If I just wanted to say which of John's albums I think is best, I'd probably say his best achievement was Plastic Ono Band.

But... If I was wanting to nominate a John album to compete against other artists albums, I'd probably want him to be represented by Imagine.

An unusual answer but it makes sense in my head!

I have 2 answers for this depending on how the question is being asked.

If I just wanted to say which of John's albums I think is best, I'd probably say his best achievement was Plastic Ono Band.

But... If I was wanting to nominate a John album to compete against other artists albums, I'd probably want him to be represented by Imagine.

An unusual answer but it makes sense in my head!
POB is something else, for sure.

John nation, open your hearts and tell us your favorite John Lennon albums! My turn: Walls and Bridges is a kiss on my forehead whenever I need comfort. I don't know why, but I know how: I feel like John was in a moment with so many different emotions inside him all at once that he made pure art. Bless You, my favorite song of all, comes from that album and it touched my heart. I cried, took a deep breath and thought, "This is the John I love." I also feel like he was at a point where expressing himself differently was therapy in the form of melody.

My second favorite album is Plastic Ono Band and I have no words to explain it. It's real, intense, warm and it felt like all of John in one album. While Walls And Bridges calms me down, Plastic Ono Band makes me want to live.

John was so special that everything he touched became special too and that's why he is eternal, he was something else from thos universe.

View attachment 41
I'd also have to say 'Walls and Bridges'! He reflects so many feeling of joy, yet brings out the opposite when addressing his insecurities and flaws. He shows all of us that he's human - we all are! And how music has always been the perfect form of therapy. Almost screaming for help, wanting to tell the fans exactly who he was through this art. 🤍

My top picks:
1. Steel & Glass - One of my favorite John songs that I discovered on my own. I've always been drawn to the beat, the power of his voice and the grit & grime of it all.
2. Scared - I find myself relating to the feelings of "hatred and jealously", because they're "gonna be the death of me." How I WISH I could put out a passionate message like this for the world.
3. #9 Dream - pure magic, and one of the first John songs I ever remember hearing!

1724632955155.png

I really enjoy all of the albums even if there are tracks that I don't listen to (or maybe fully appreciate). That being said, my favorite album is Double Fantasy. My mom said when I was born "(Just Like) Starting Over" was the number one song and being played all over the radio, so I feel like being exposed to that album so much as a baby, it's like etched in my dna lol I don't know if the songs are critically the greatest, but it sure is comforting to have songs you've liked to hear your whole life.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that's a don't skip any of the songs when listening kind of album for me (granted I do have my favorites to sing along to).

I really enjoy all of the albums even if there are tracks that I don't listen to (or maybe fully appreciate). That being said, my favorite album is Double Fantasy. My mom said when I was born "(Just Like) Starting Over" was the number one song and being played all over the radio, so I feel like being exposed to that album so much as a baby, it's like etched in my dna lol I don't know if the songs are critically the greatest, but it sure is comforting to have songs you've liked to hear your whole life.
It is an emotional memory and is very valid. The album is really beautiful.

View attachment 41
I really appreciate your description of how the Bless You makes you feel. Makes me want to go listen right now! What a great thread to help us get re-introduced to songs and maybe find new favorites

View attachment 41
My favorite John Lennon album? Whatever one I'm listening to at the moment. I will also add that I love listening to albums. In these days of streaming it's easy to just play the favorite songs and I certainly do that from time to time, making up playlists but there's a real joy (for me at least) in playing albums from start to finish hearing the songs as the artist intended them in sequence.

When I was in my early to mid twenties I was heavy into my solo albums but I don't really listen to them much anymore I do that now where after I record it and put it together I don't really listen to it much and look forward to what's next. Plastic Ono Band for awhile it was that desert island album for me the energy of it and when I was younger it was crank it up and rock out and ride with the rawness. And the last time I listened to it, I think it was near my birthday May 2023... sometime in '23, anyways, it rocked me emotionally I was not so different than I am now, I had a lot of emotions and hopes, heart break and yearning, still optimistic and I always found the album relatable but emotionally it was deeper and close to home. I loved having Imagine on vinyl and I love the sweetness and fun of the album. I love how it ends with How into Oh Yoko is so beautiful--I love it so much (I remember April 1st 2023 I was in Costa Mesa, before I went to see someone I admire play a gig, I played Oh Yoko on my guitar in my hotel room, my favorite line is about the bath, and the person I came to see in the concert spoke about heaven, and memories, and songs like a warm bath and it moved me so I felt love and so connected karmically). I like the politics and zen of Mind Games and it fits well as like the center between Imagine and Walls And Bridges. I really connected recently with the song Angela, I think it's serene and perfect and I think if we were to sit down with one of those solo albums I'd like to hear Sometime In New York. I recently listened to tracks from Double Fantasy and I really like Yoko's songs on that one. My favorite song is Instant Karma, I was fourteen on a road trip and it came on the radio. I was filled with so much awe and happiness a very deep feeling; I thought it was so cool I think that was the first thing I said after listening to it.

Last edited:

View attachment 41
Back to Mono -- that's awesome! 😄

View attachment 41
I don't know why but I really like Mind Games.... it kinda just stuck with me since the first time I listened it and I was like... woah this is so cool...

Thinking about it, I find it really hard to choose! I’m inclined to say Sometime in New York City (I love both the studio and the live tracks!) as well as Double Fantasy - the more laid back Lennon + Ono is so wonderful to hear. I also love the collaborative nature of both.

I think I can reasonably be convinced that any Lennon album is his best (JL/Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are of course timeless masterpieces), as the incredible recent Ultimate Collection of Mind Games as shown it to be a wonderful album that I had completely overlooked!

I have a similar struggle with Yoko’s albums, especially with how many genres she has played with throughout her musical career, it’s hard to compare some albums she has made with others!

Back