🍉 SEAN ONO LENNON - AMA - ASK ME ANYTHING - Here - on Thursday 19 September - Midday ET / 9am PT / 5pm UK / 1am Tokyo

Hi Sean! With so many extras for fans to discover and explore within the Mind Games releases (such as the puzzle, Nutopia website, box set design etc.), is there one you found the most enjoyable to put together?

Sean, I was just wondering if somewhere down the line is there a plan to take some of your Dad's home demos and clean them up with the MAL software as with Now & Then? There are some wonderful songs that were shared on the Lost Lennon Tapes that really deserve to see the light of day (Gone From This Place is gorgeous for a start).

Hi Sean, greetings from Nagoya!

Being *somewhat* of a guitar player, I have a few gear questions.

I'm really curious. Dhani Harrison previously mentioned his love for the Let It Be Rosewood Telecaster.

1) What is your favorite guitar in your personal collection? Why?

2) Also, which of your dad's guitars is a personal favorite and why?

Thanks!

Brian

Good afternoon from London Sean, I think you have been asked this question many times previously and on here too and it may be a bit frustrating, having put in so much hard work on Mind Games to be asked so soon after it's release, in regard of "what's next"? But is it your intention to progressively work through your father's solo material in the same type of way as time progresses? The work on Mind Games is so impressive and superb and it would be nice to know if other work will be given the same type of attention?

Sean, what is one thing you would like people to understand once and for all about your relationship with you brother? Every single time you appear together there are countless comments saying things like "oh, it's so good to know that they are getting along now". It must be exhausting for the both of you...

Hi Sean, I'm a big fan of yours's and your parents work.

In looking at your work, such as an album like Friendly Fire, I often wonder what your song-writing process is. Could you please give an insight of how you like to write your music?

Thank you so much.

Hi Sean, I have two questions.
First, will the albums Menlove Ave., Live in New York City, and the John Lennon Anthology ever be added to streaming?
Also, will the album Some Time In New York City ever get an Ultimate Collection release? I hear rumours it might be, but they've gone quiet. Could the content of some of the songs (especially the opening track) be problematic and be preventing a release?
Thanks for hosting this AMA, there's a lot of questions in this thread I'd love to hear the answer to.

Hi Sean,

Love your music and thanks for producing the wonderful new Mind Games box set!

Two questions about videotape footage of your dad:
  1. In the May 1973 Sony Portapak videotape footage at The Dakota, why is John Lennon wearing a United States Navy APH-6 pilot's helmet, with microphone attached, indoors at night with the sun visor down? What is he up to?
  2. Does the August 19, 1980 professional videotape footage of John Lennon performing multiple takes of "I'm Losing You" at The Hit Factory studio still exist? And will this 1980 videotape footage ever be officially released?
Thank you! Please see screen capture images below for reference...

Below: 1973 Sony Portapak videotape at The Dakota. John appears to have a helmet microphone routed into a Fender tweed guitar amp behind him.

hel2.jpg

Below: 1973 Sony Portapak videotape at The Dakota. John is apparently adjusting the volume or tone controls on what appears to be a 1950s-era Fender tweed guitar amp.

hel3.jpg

Below: 1973 Sony Portapak videotape at The Dakota. Close up of the device affixed to the back of John's pilot helmet. The metal box may be a microphone impedance transformer allowing John to speak or sing through his guitar amp.

hel4.jpg

Below: "clapper" slate for the August 19, 1980 videotape footage at The Hit Factory

slate.jpg

Below: Video still from unreleased footage of John performing "I'm Losing You" on August 19, 1980 at The Hit Factory

hitfactoryjperformsmall.jpg

Below: John & Yoko on August 19, 1980 -- just before entering The Hit Factory recording studios for the "I'm Losing You" videotape session.

hitfactoryaug1980.jpg

Last edited:
You've been working on your father songs for a long time now, I believe it must be emotionally charging and challenging, especially listening to his voice for long hours so frequently. Do you feel an emotional weight? And if so how do you deal with this emotional weight of working with your father's recordings?

Could you tell us more about the postponed or canceled release of the Some Time In New York City Ultimate Mix? I remember when the release was first hinted and was expected to happen in 2022...

What is your favorite part of being in charge of your father's Estate now? I remember your mother saying, when you were still a child, that one day all that she created and built along with your dad would be yours so she had to take good care of it because of that too; did she train you in any way to be ready to do what you're doing now? She took care of the Estate with excellence during all this years, forever grateful to her for that, she took care of us through that as well 🤍

How did your mom react to you winning an Oscar and winning one because of a beautiful short film inspired by the War Is Over song, activism and campaign?

Sean, how much does your mother influence Charlotte's art? I see that she admires her a lot and it would be interesting to know more about that.

Sean, how do you deal with this whole "nepo baby" situation? You've already proven your unique worth, but how does it feel to always be seen in the wrong way because you're John and Yoko's son?

Hi Sean! I love the blu-ray release from a few years ago combining the movies Imagine & Gimme Some Truth. Would you consider a similar release combining Bed Peace & Sweet Toronto? I think those 2 together would make a great pairing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back