šŸ“† #ONTHISDAY - Today in John / Yoko history

1724954979180.png1724955032160.png
1724955042293.png1724955056963.png
1724954971469.png1724954974563.png

Bob Gruen on Instagram today:

It was 50 years ago today that I took the most well known photo of John Lennonā€¦ John asked me to come to take closeup portraits of his face for the cover of his ā€˜Walls & Bridgesā€™ album, and after that part he asked for more photos for publicity. As we were on the roof of his penthouse apartment on East 52nd Street with the New York Skyline all around us, I asked him if he still had the t-shirt with ā€˜New York Cityā€™ on it that I had given to him a year earlierā€¦. he knew just where it was and he put it on and then we took the now famous set of picturesā€¦. it was a great month for me, on August 9 Yoko Ono had taken me to Japan where I made contacts that opened up a whole new world for me, and just 3 days after I took the photos of John, my son Kris was born!! Heā€™ll be 50 years old Sept 2ā€¦. (link).

Last edited by a moderator:
1000262262.jpg
#OTD, in 1969, Bob Dylan visited John Lennon and Yoko Ono at Tittenhurst Park. As there are no photos of the meeting, above is a photo of John and Yoko at the Isle Of Wight Festival watching Bob Dylan's show a day before.

The Beatles on ATVā€™s Big Night Out​

#OTD 1 Sept 1963: Didsbury Studio Centre, Manchester, UK. The Beatles were filmed miming to three songs: ā€˜From Me To Youā€™, ā€˜She Loves Youā€™, and ā€˜Twist And Shoutā€™.

The Beatles on ATVā€™s Big Night Out​

#OTD 1 Sept 1963: Didsbury Studio Centre, Manchester, UK. The Beatles were filmed miming to three songs: ā€˜From Me To Youā€™, ā€˜She Loves Youā€™, and ā€˜Twist And Shoutā€™.
One of my favorite Beatles TV appearances. Quite a unique set design, surely an intentional reference to the archways of the Cavern?
The blurring between excitement and stoicism on their part remains endlessly captivating - the Beatlemania there is palpable!

Back