šŸ“– MIND GAMES: John Lennon & Yoko Ono - new book from Thames and Hudson

Good Dog Nigel

Administrator
Staff member
image.jpeg
Preorder Now.

Told in revelatory detail, this is the definitive exploration of the writing, recording and release of John Lennonā€™s celebrated fourth solo album Mind Games.

GVw5jtNWQAAHceH.jpeg

Described by Yoko Ono as ā€˜ahead of its timeā€™, Mind Games is a breakthrough album from John Lennon in which he employs a Plastic Ono Band comprising the cream of the crop of New York session musicians ā€“ a fan favourite that remains a cult classic ever since its first release on 29 October 1973. This insightful and beautiful book presents handwritten lyrics, letters and artworks by Lennon and Ono, and previously unseen photography alongside their firsthand commentary about the lyrics, songs and album artwork, as well as contributions from the musicians, friends, engineers and key figures involved in the making of this landmark album.

GVw5lliXUAERP4N.jpeg

Mind Games was the product of an exceptionally turbulent time for the Lennons. While Nixon and Hoover were attempting to have Lennon deported, John and Yoko endured endless litigations, and as the popular press turned on them once again, they bravely rose above it all, continuing their campaigns for non-violent peaceful protest to end the war in Vietnam and for equal rights for women. It was also an exciting time, when they both re-embraced mysticism and magical thinking. In this sumptuous volume, text and images from the key players are woven together to reveal not only the details behind the creation, recording and release of this groundbreaking commercial and skilfully crafted recording, but also to shed new light on a period of transformation and experimentation for Lennon and Ono.

GVw5nLYXAAEpgDH.jpeg

Out on 24 Sept, Preorder Now.

Oh, you know how excited I've been for this book release, for over a year now! I'm truly happy it's happening this month šŸ„° I hope it doesn't take long for my copy to arrive in Brazil because I'm so ready to dive into this new incredible book of yours! The Ultimate Collection books are definitely my favorite items on my shelf!

View attachment 375
Preorder Now.

Told in revelatory detail, this is the definitive exploration of the writing, recording and release of John Lennonā€™s celebrated fourth solo album Mind Games.

View attachment 376

Described by Yoko Ono as ā€˜ahead of its timeā€™, Mind Games is a breakthrough album from John Lennon in which he employs a Plastic Ono Band comprising the cream of the crop of New York session musicians ā€“ a fan favourite that remains a cult classic ever since its first release on 29 October 1973. This insightful and beautiful book presents handwritten lyrics, letters and artworks by Lennon and Ono, and previously unseen photography alongside their firsthand commentary about the lyrics, songs and album artwork, as well as contributions from the musicians, friends, engineers and key figures involved in the making of this landmark album.

View attachment 377

Mind Games was the product of an exceptionally turbulent time for the Lennons. While Nixon and Hoover were attempting to have Lennon deported, John and Yoko endured endless litigations, and as the popular press turned on them once again, they bravely rose above it all, continuing their campaigns for non-violent peaceful protest to end the war in Vietnam and for equal rights for women. It was also an exciting time, when they both re-embraced mysticism and magical thinking. In this sumptuous volume, text and images from the key players are woven together to reveal not only the details behind the creation, recording and release of this groundbreaking commercial and skilfully crafted recording, but also to shed new light on a period of transformation and experimentation for Lennon and Ono.

View attachment 378

I'm selling my furniture to get this book... lol Life as an unemployed person is sad. But looks sooooooooo good.

If it's any help in bringing further excitement to this book among the members here, I can truthfully say that it is my very favorite item in my extensive John collection. I'm not being hyperbolic, it is really that good.

It houses everything that I love about John so much. His spirit and psyche are alive more than ever in these pages, and you'll be rewarded with a historical rollercoaster that eloquently shows their journey from the perspective of the two people living it.

My personal highlight was the area discussing John being taught how to type, followed by a number of letters with that unbelievably fantastic humor, wit, and insight that only he was capable of.
I was particularly taken with a touching letter to his father as well as "ANTHER (ANOTHER) LETTER FROM THE DECK OF FRED ASTAIRCASE..." which is possibly my favorite thing that John ever did in any medium (and it's where I derived my username and signature here from!)

I wish I could do the scope of this book justice in a post like this, but I seriously can't. There are too many powerful, amazing, and unexpected treasures in there that I just have to tell you all that it is a must-have and that you will love it!

20240902_165519.jpg

View attachment 375
Preorder Now.

View attachment 376

View attachment 377

View attachment 378

I'm so excited for this book!!! I can only imagine how great the book is šŸ¤

Last edited by a moderator:
Back