💡John & Yoko cultural influences - people/ideas/multimedia that inspired them

Good Dog Nigel

Administrator
Staff member

image.png

Alan Watts​

A prolific author and speaker, Alan Watts was one of the first to interpret Eastern wisdom for a Western audience. Born outside London in 1915, he discovered the nearby Buddhist Lodge at a young age. After moving to the United States in 1938, Alan became an Episcopal priest for a time, and then relocated to Millbrook, New York, where he wrote his pivotal book The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety. In 1951 he moved to San Francisco where he began teaching Buddhist studies, and in 1956 began his popular radio show, “Way Beyond the West.” By the early sixties, Alan’s radio talks aired nationally and the counterculture movement adopted him as a spiritual spokesperson. He wrote and traveled regularly until his passing in 1973. Find out more here.

I feel like I should talk about Goons, or what I read about what inspired the War Is Over campaign. But I saw this a few days ago, and I love the Lovin' Spoonful. I love their music, such a wonderful band and sound. And I just want to say, can we give John Sebastian some credit? I mean, look at this, it's 1965 and he's got the look. And like a year later he's doing Summer In The City on tv with the biggest sideburns in the world.
ab67616d0000b2730b6b12fd915f73fce8082de3.jpeg

I know the official story of where I Am The Walrus started from, the school, the literary references. But, there's something I always thought. Years and years ago, I used to watch the TV show Lost, and I was so into it I wrote a song about being the 'Smoke Monster'. And when I titled the song it would either be 'Smoke Monster' or 'I Am The Smoke Monster'. And when I listen to 'I Am The Walrus', it's hard for me not to think of the Joker from 60's Batman. In my 20's I'd watch that show and laugh so hard I'd cry.
untitled_48.webp
Also, there's the Eggman, but on the show Vincent Price played, the Egghead

Egghead_from_Batman_66.jpg
I know the literary reference for the walrus and how important Lewis Carrol is, but, I often wonder if the Walrus is a yearning to be a Batman villain. I can't help it, when I listen to it, I think that 😅

Mother Goose is an influence. A reference to Mother Hubbard in Gimme Some Truth. A reference to 'Sing A Song For Sixpence' in 'Cleanup Time'. Last summer I read, 'Frog He Would A Wooing Go' and I immediately thought of 'Deaf Ted Danoota And Me'. They're not exactly the same, but it's the energy and the refrain; I couldn't help but to think of the poem after reading the rhyme and both feature frogs.
0d43f480-7c4c-4645-91d6-bdd58081400f.jpegiiif-public_gdcmassbookdig_mothergoosejungl00unse_mothergoosejungl00unse_0022-full-pct_25.0-0-...jpg

Back