💬 John Lennon Quotes

JOHN ON MEETING YOKO AT INDICA

"I'd been going around to galleries a bit on my off days... I got the word that this amazing woman was putting on a show next week and there was going to be something about people in bags, in black bags, and it was going to be a bit of a happening and all that. So I went down to a preview of the show. I got there the night before it opened. I went in—she didn't know who I was or anything—I was wandering around, there was a couple of artsy type students that had been helping lying around there in the gallery, and I was looking at it and I was astounded. There was an apple on sale there for two hundred quid, I thought it was fantastic—I got the humor in her work immediately. I didn't have to have much knowledge about avant-garde or underground art, but the humor got me straightaway... But there was another piece which really decided me for- or-against the artist: a ladder which led to a painting which was hung on the ceiling. It looked like a blank canvas with a chain with a spyglass hanging on the end of it. This was near the door when you went in. I climbed the ladder, you look through the spyglass and in tiny little letters it says 'YES.' So it was positive. I felt relieved. It's a great relief when you get up the ladder and you look through the spyglass and it doesn't say 'no' or 'fuck you.'" John explained, "Just that 'yes' made me stay in that gallery full of apples and nails, and not just walk out thinking, 'I'm not gonna buy any of this crap.'"

Lennon Remembers Jan Wenner for Rolling Stone

"Love is not just something that you stick on posters or on the back of your jacket or on a badge. Love is appreciation of other people and allowing them to be. Love is allowing somebody to be themselves and that's what we do need." - John Lennon

This is definitely a favorite one. He nails it again about love. I think that's because he already knew a lot about himself at this point, understanding mainly how his constancy as a human being was actually a constant evolution. He understood himself, even his ups and downs, wanted to be accepted the way he was and that allowed him to understand how other people would want just the same as well.

“Part of me suspects that I'm a loser, and the other part of me thinks I'm God Almighty”

Everyone is going to have these moments in life no matter what situation you’re in. But at the end of the day, you’re neither! You’re going to have your own “shades of grey” and that’s EXACTLY who John was. Not someone you could categorize as either/or 🤍

"Our outlook is: Be yourself, use your full potential, don't believe anybody that says you are no good. You can really do what you want. We are all infinite, and we have infinite possibilities. Give peace a chance. Remember love. Be yourself, and nature will provide."
John Lennon for Jonathan Cott, December 5, 1980. I don't need to say more, he said everything.

"We have got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant... You have got to keep watering it. You have got to really look after it and nurture it."
John Lennon for "Man Of The Decade", December 2, 1969.

"A lot of it - the lyric, external and the concept - came from Yoko. But in those days I was a bit more selfish, a bit more macho, and I sort of omitted to mention her contribution. But it was right out of Grapefruit, her book. There's a whole pile of pieces about 'Imagine this' and 'Imagine that.'"

John on Yoko cowriting Imagine.
I’m astounded that so much of the fandom want to deny Yoko’s credit on this song. John says it in plain black and white here.

John stated, "For all you folks out there who think I'm having the wool pulled over my eyes, well, that's an insult to me. But if you think you know me, or you have some part of me because of the music, and then you think I'm being controlled like a dog on a leash because I do things with her, then screw you, brother or sister, you don't know what's happening. I'm not here for you, I'm here for me and her, and now the baby" - John Lennon
So, why does everyone come down so hard on Yoko? It was his choice, not the public's to decide who he could be with.

“everything will be okay in the end. if it’s not okay, it’s not the end”

I always refer back to this exact quote whenever I feel like giving up on myself. “It isn’t over just because ‘flower-power’ didn’t work, it’s only the beginning” quoted by john lennon ❤️ I should’t have to feel like it is the end just because something didn’t work out for me. Life is beautiful. I just have not seen it yet, so therefore it is definitely not the end. I have a lot to learn, im only 16. The journey awaits.

Last edited:
Back