🎵 John and Yoko Song-by-Song Thread

LordGoodgod

Brinley
🎵 Welcome to the John & Yoko Song-by-Song thread! 🎵

Let's go on an adventure through the catalogue of John and Yoko's albums and singles, giving each song fresh listening and appreciation!

We'll be chronologically going through the catalogue, but all Nutopian citizens are free to join in the discussion at any time and participate with the current song!

I greatly look forward to seeing where this takes us as we all have a good time enjoying the music and connecting with each other in a positive way.

☮️

I'll kick off the discussion for this one!

Ever since I was a kid, I've been entranced by that distinctive 'wobble' of the percussion, it's nearly hypnotic! It adds to the cyclical nature of the whole track as an epic, anthemic mantra.

The lyrics are great, too - sort of saying everything and nothing at the same time, as if to say that all else is essentially meaningless, that all which is being said is, indeed, to give the idea and hope of peace a legitimate chance.

Contrary to the typical 'battle call,' it's a triumphant rally cry for goodness and positivity (for a change!). The composition certainly places John in the pantheon of great folk writers who could both turn in a memorable melody and issue a clarion call at the same time.

Its intentional, inherent simplicity of melody and message, like 'All You Need Is Love', shows off his brilliant songwriting skills and ability to communicate, as well as his knack for penning a timeless tune with anthemic qualities. For a song whose key element is its understated approach, its greatness cannot be overstated.

What does everybody else think? :)

I love the DJ Dan Vocal Mix! A very delightfully unexpected interpretation. I wonder if anyone's played it in a club or in a field at a festival?

Give peace a chance is an anthem, a singalong, a peace publicity stunt, its greatness cannot be overstated, but I seldom listen to it, once the verses are over and it's the chorus again and again, I understand why John chose to edit it on Shaved fish, I'd rather listen to Yoko's flipside "Remember love". Have you noticed that "Remember" and "Love" are the two first songs on Plastic Ono band side 2?

Give peace a chance is an anthem, a singalong, a peace publicity stunt, its greatness cannot be overstated, but I seldom listen to it, once the verses are over and it's the chorus again and again, I understand why John chose to edit it on Shaved fish, I'd rather listen to Yoko's flipside "Remember love". Have you noticed that "Remember" and "Love" are the two first songs on Plastic Ono band side 2?
Exactly how I feel! I adore Remember Love.

Back