I'm a musician and songwriter. I was nine years old, February, 1964.

Songwriting is such a personal thing. I just wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on it. How to find the muse when it seems she's run away. And then, I need to learn more chords,... but that's a whole nuther thing.
When you feel comfortable enough, share your music with us! We will love it and support you in this dream.

I've only just gotten into songwriting myself. As a poet of many years i feel i have honed my skill subconciously. On the other hand i've only recently started to play guitar in the last few years. So in essence, words are the easy part and putting music to it is the challenge.

If the muse is gone away I find it most helpful to play songs of other people that you like and be patient. Mostly the muse returns shortly after that.
Absolutely! Just playing around with how a favourite song of yours is constructed and performed can be a real way to unlock your own creativity and find ways of playing you had forgot or even learn something completely new.

I've only just gotten into songwriting myself. As a poet of many years i feel i have honed my skill subconciously. On the other hand i've only recently started to play guitar in the last few years. So in essence, words are the easy part and putting music to it is the challenge.
I always enjoy putting different words to songs that I know the beat and tune of just to see how they fit and how a tune can change the meaning and tone of words as a bit of a writing excercise before I write a song, but it's always a challenge to make sure the tune and words line up in all ways.

Today I am attempting to write a song or whatever it will be.
I wrote a sketchy verse that goes like this:

Another day is slowly going on
Everyone is busy hardworking
As I lay on the couch to turn the TV on
Waiting for a miracle.

Then I got another idea:

The sun is (now) asleep
And the moon is shinning
the starlight makes the sky looks glorious
Just like you on stage

You make me feel alive
As someone who waters a flower
A kind of mysterious magic

That lives forever in my heart

That's it. Tell me if you have any suggestion !

Back