⭐️ Favorite Lennon performance?

lorrluvssu

lorren ♡ - @lorrluvssu
There are a great deal of live performances that John Lennon had done during his prime.

Whether it being with “The Beatles”, “Elton John”, “Frank Zappa”,Harry Nilsson”, “Eric Clapton”, “Keith Richards”, “Alan White”, “Klaus Voormann”, etc.

He always played with the best of the best.

Ones that I think were most important, aside from some of the show-biz ones, were the common-jointed events.

IMG_3328.jpeg
“The March Of Dimes benefit”
April 28, 1974

“John Lennon appears briefly with Harry Nilsson at a March of Dimes benefit concert in New York’s Central Park. John ad libs his own March of Dimes song, dances a bit, and signs autographs for the crowd. John’s appearance goes mostly unnoticed by the local TV news and newspapers.”

~Unknown source

Cute fan moment!!

“The hotel where they were staying was just outside the Park. I walk into the hotel, sit down, calm down, and get my nerve up to get into the elevator for the trip of a lifetime. I walk up to the suite door, take a few more deep breaths and knock. Harry opens the door. I say “Hi, I’m Mark Lapidos and I want to speak to John about Beatlefest”. He looks at me and says, “Come on in”. A few long, minutes later, John enters the parlor, we shook hands and sat down. I proceeded to tell him my idea of a Beatles Fan’s Celebration honoring the 10th Anniversary of The Beatles Arrival in America, in Feb, 1964. I had already booked the hotel, so I told him it was to take place at the Commodore Hotel on 42nd Street on September 7-8, 1974. I told him I was a manager at ‘Sam Goody’, and he could tell I was a fan. The event I envisioned was a hotel full of Beatles Fans celebrating a common love for The Beatles, with films, live concerts, guests, discussions, a flea market, an art museum and more. John leaned forward in his chair, got very excited about the idea and said, “I’m All For It. I’m A Beatles Fan, Too!” 39 years later, I can still close my eyes and see and hear him say those exact words to me. I told him I also wanted to have a charity raffle of signed items from The Beatles. He said he had an old guitar in his attic that he would sign for the raffle (and he did). He picked the Phoenix House in NY, a drug rehab center as the recipient of the money raised (We raised $3,000 that show and have had Charity Raffles at every FEST since.) John asked me to return to the suite two days later, where his associate called Apple in London to fill Neil Aspinall in on the event details and the rest is history. The show was a huge success and it even made the cover of Rolling Stone! I did get to personally talk to John a few months later to tell him how is went and to thank him for all his help. He was happy to hear it went so well.”

~Mark Lapidos

IMG_3329.jpeg
IMG_3330.jpeg

I also really digged “The Madison Square Garden” event, he and Elton did back in 75’. It was the biggest performance he’s probably ever done. He was very frightened as anyone would be, knowing you would be performing with thousands and thousands of people. However, John, the audacious human-being that he was, did it anyway. He had to either way..You cannot back down on a bet 😂

IMG_3331.jpeg

IMG_3332.jpeg

Those people had their best thanksgiving ever ❤️🥹

Attachments

• IMG_3329.jpeg
    IMG_3329.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3330.jpeg
    IMG_3330.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
One to one, that's it. There's no other show that comes to mind first when we talk about this. The closest, perhaps, is his show with the Beatles for the monarchy and his iconic line about the jewels. He's always been a great performer.

There are a great deal of live performances that John Lennon had done during his prime.

Whether it being with “The Beatles”, “Elton John”, “Frank Zappa”,Harry Nilsson”, “Eric Clapton”, “Keith Richards”, “Alan White”, “Klaus Voormann”, etc.

Ones that I think were most important, aside from some of the show-biz ones, were the common-jointed events.

View attachment 1000
April 28, 1974

“John Lennon appears briefly with Harry Nilsson at a March of Dimes benefit concert in New York’s Central Park. John ad libs his own March of Dimes song, dances a bit, and signs autographs for the crowd. John’s appearance goes mostly unnoticed by the local TV news and newspapers.”

~Unknown source

Cute fan moment!!

“The hotel where they were staying was just outside the Park. I walk into the hotel, sit down, calm down, and get my nerve up to get into the elevator for the trip of a lifetime. I walk up to the suite door, take a few more deep breaths and knock. Harry opens the door. I say “Hi, I’m Mark Lapidos and I want to speak to John about Beatlefest”. He looks at me and says, “Come on in”. A few long, minutes later, John enters the parlor, we shook hands and sat down. I proceeded to tell him my idea of a Beatles Fan’s Celebration honoring the 10th Anniversary of The Beatles Arrival in America, in Feb, 1964. I had already booked the hotel, so I told him it was to take place at the Commodore Hotel on 42nd Street on September 7-8, 1974. I told him I was a manager at ‘Sam Goody’, and he could tell I was a fan. The event I envisioned was a hotel full of Beatles Fans celebrating a common love for The Beatles, with films, live concerts, guests, discussions, a flea market, an art museum and more. John leaned forward in his chair, got very excited about the idea and said, “I’m All For It. I’m A Beatles Fan, Too!” 39 years later, I can still close my eyes and see and hear him say those exact words to me. I told him I also wanted to have a charity raffle of signed items from The Beatles. He said he had an old guitar in his attic that he would sign for the raffle (and he did). He picked the Phoenix House in NY, a drug rehab center as the recipient of the money raised (We raised $3,000 that show and have had Charity Raffles at every FEST since.) John asked me to return to the suite two days later, where his associate called Apple in London to fill Neil Aspinall in on the event details and the rest is history. The show was a huge success and it even made the cover of Rolling Stone! I did get to personally talk to John a few months later to tell him how is went and to thank him for all his help. He was happy to hear it went so well.”

~Mark Lapidos

View attachment 1005
View attachment 1006

I also really digged “The Madison Square Garden” event, he and Elton did back in 75’. It was the biggest performance he’s probably ever done. He was very frightened as anyone would be, knowing you would be performing with thousands and thousands of people. However, John, the audacious human-being that he was, did it anyway. He had to either way..You cannot back down on a bet 😂

View attachment 1007

View attachment 1008

Mark starting The Fest for Beatles Fans and having it endorsed by John himself is an incredible story!! (if ya'll haven't been to a fest yet, I highly recommened it!!)

1726363465229.png

His performance with Elton at MSG in 1974 is mine! The One to One concert being a close second.

Knowing how nervous he was before this performance and him sticking to the bet he made with Elton, we are SO FORTUNATE to listen to them sing together!! 🤍

One to one, that's it. There's no other show that comes to mind first when we talk about this. The closest, perhaps, is his show with the Beatles for the monarchy and his iconic line about the jewels. He's always been a great performer.
Yes! I love that one too! Apparently he played 2 of Stevie Wonders tracks? I’ve been trying to find that bit on YouTube.

My first thought was the performance of "I'm Down" at Shea Stadium in 1965. But I'd would have loved to have seen that performance in Hamburg where he came out with the toliet seat around his neck.

View attachment 1000
April 28, 1974

~Unknown source

Cute fan moment!!

~Mark Lapidos

View attachment 1005
View attachment 1006

View attachment 1007

View attachment 1008

The madison square garden encores with Elton John were in November 1974, but John's last public performance was in spring 1975, the Salute to Lew grade show, that's my favourite John's performance, just the way he looked ( red leather outfit and pony tail/black tainted glasses ) was thrilling, as if he came from another planet!

The madison square garden encores with Elton John were in November 1974, but John's last public performance was in spring 1975, the Salute to Lew grade show, that's my favourite John's performance, just the way he looked ( red leather outfit and pony tail/black tainted glasses ) was thrilling, as if he came from another planet!
I agree 100%!! He looked so rad!! 😎

If this is considered a 'performance' (I hope it is!), I've always really loved these promo films that were shown on the Old Grey Whistle Test, especially this one! Probably my favorite of his '50s covers, and the ad-lib and that cheesy big grin at the end... I'm sold!!

I love his cover on slippin’ and’ slidin’ ❤️

If this is considered a 'performance' (I hope it is!), I've always really loved these promo films that were shown on the Old Grey Whistle Test, especially this one! Probably my favorite of his '50s covers, and the ad-lib and that cheesy big grin at the end... I'm sold!!

He slays all the covers he does!!

His outfit also looked amazing, I love his hat

Back