🎶 Favorite John Lyrics?

skylarmoody

Content Creator
What lyrics have you heard that you can IMMEDIATELY relate to? Can be from The Beatles or his solo work!

For me, from "Scared" off of Walls and Bridges:
"Hatred and jealousy, gonna be the death of me
I guess I knew it right from the start
Sing out about love and peace
Don't want to see the red raw meat
The green eyed goddamn straight from your heart"

Jealousy has been a negative trait of mine and I've really gotten to see it shine over the past couple years. It's been the death of some special relationships and caused me to act in ways I didn't know were even possible. To know John was so self aware to recognize that in himself helps me realize I can overcome it. And I've been doing the work to do just that!

P.S. I've always loved the comparison to Shakespeare here: “O beware, my lord, of jealousy; It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on.” Trying to keep the jealousy at bay so that this "monster" doesn't come out is something to overcome, and believe me, it's not easy...

"Bless you wherever you are, windswept child on a shooting star, restless spirits depart still we're deep in each other's hearts."

The poetry involving the longing that he tries to keep positive. Inspiring, beautifull, something that always touches my heart when I hear him sing. That's why it's my favorite song.

Trying to shovel smoke with a pitchfork in the wind.”

This is a metaphor for life. Life is unpredictable. The route that John Lennon was going through, it was unpredictable for him. Getting all boozed out because of all the pain he was going through. He could not see the light at the end of the tunnel as it was. He was stuck. These lyrics really show that relentlessness that he had.

Two old rogues [john & harry] by the side of the road, begging for water when they’d rather guzzle Brandy Alexanders.” -Rolling Stone Magazine

"How can I have feelings when my feelings have always been denied?" (How?, 1971)

One of the deepest, most impactful lyrics John wrote. Changed my life. Changed the way I see John. I always say that every time I'm studying or talking about John that's the lyric that motivates me and inspires me to do my best in being fair to his feelings, to his memory and to John as a human being above anything else. He felt his feelings were denied back then, that's devastating in so many ways. Even though he is not here now, we can still do something about that. We can remember him without denying who he was. We can talk, study and share his views and life experiences without denying his feelings, without putting our expectations and views of who he was first. I almost feel like we owe him that.

"The years have passed so quickly,
One thing I've understood
I am only learning
To tell the trees from wood"

One of my favorite lyrics ever. They've resonated with me ever since I heard them. John doesn't get enough credit as a lyricist.

Back