šŸŽµFavorite John Lennon song/s?

lorrluvssu

lorren ā™” - @lorrluvssu
Now, I absolutely adore all of his solo work, so it is very hard to dissect, itā€™s ineffable.

I would have to say for the most part I find myself listening to ā€˜Walls & Bridgesā€™ majority of the time. I just believe it is one of his most authentic-feely albums. All of the tracks are so real, expressing how he really felt during that god-awful period of his life, being separated from yoko.

John Lennon on ā€˜Walls & Bridgesā€™:

ā€œI did the Walls & Bridges, itā€™s technically okay, if you pull it apart as production, or format. The songs on there, thereā€™s nothing wrong with them but there is this air of loss. There is an air of, itā€™s not the same kind of cloud, itā€™s not the same kind of thing as the ā€˜Motherā€™ album, where thereā€™s a positive-negative. Itā€™s saying this is where Iā€™m at, and this is how itā€™s going. You could say it was a film where you came out crying from that movie. Walls & Bridges has this air of misery, but you canā€™t put your hand on, thereā€™s kind of a cloud around it.

Anyway, I donā€™t want to get into more of the details about it because it gets me feeling melancholic.

My top #3 tracks:

Bless you šŸ™šŸ»

Old Dirt Road šŸƒā€āœ…

Mind Games šŸ§ ā¤ļø

My Reasonings for ā€˜Bless youā€™ :

John Lennon had quoted this in his last public interview he had before his unfortunate passing:
ā€œIf you look closely, you can say, ā€œBless youā€, is a nice, good, song. Nothing wrong, good construction, good-hearty. You can go into it, and look at it and canā€™t find the fault. As a piece of art.ā€œ

Which this is true, I donā€™t hear it as an ā€œair of lossā€, as much as the other tracks in the album. I hear it, as biographer, ā€˜James Pattersonā€™, described it, as a, ā€œrelaxed, jazzy-Brazilian beat.ā€ Itā€™s a real satisfying melody. Itā€™s probably one of the most satisfying jazz songs Iā€™ve ever listened to.

My reasonings for ā€˜Old Dirt Roadā€™:

This track was collaborated with another one of the greatest musicians, ā€œHarry Nilssonā€. John Lennon originally wanted an ā€œAmericanismā€. I can see why this would be. This is definitely one that I think if you read closely, the lyrics, you will make sense with it. ā€œTrying to shovel smoke with a pitchfork in the windā€. I found this lyric one of the most relatable and interesting. Even though the road is apparently stable, it too is a risk from the possibility of a mudslide. It really does have an interesting imagery. Thatā€™s what I love about this track. The reassurance to ā€œkeep on, keeping onā€ even when the going gets tough. Itā€™s however you want to envision it.

ā€œThe lyrics donā€™t make much literal sense, but somehow sound right on an intuitive levelā€

-Authors Ben Urish and Ken Bielen

My reasonings for ā€˜Mind Gamesā€™:

The lyrics are self explanatory, it is one of his most matter-of-fact compositions, itā€™s the exact message he was trying to convey. ā€œLove is the answerā€. Every single lyric in this song can be delivered in return as a message of peace & love. Itā€™s at subterranean level, itā€™s easy to recognize because the melody is so beautiful. I think I found the more you listen to it, you stick with it completely. Thinking positively is the answer to happiness. Thatā€™s really all it is.

IMG_3089.jpeg

Last edited:
Steel & Glass

I had always loved How Do You Sleep? and this one sounded SO similar when I first heard it! Now Iā€™m starting to connect to the lyrics more. With John always trying to question who/what his songs were about, and the fans doing the same, I love how self aware he was to realize it all came back to himself. Walls & Bridges is a masterpiece in itself, some of his best work in my opinion is showcased here.

Jealous Guy

I wrote a bit about this in the favorite lyrics thread while talking about ā€œScaredā€, but ā€œJealous Guyā€ hits it even more on the nose. Jealousy is my biggest negative quality, and with this song in particular, it reminds me of a situation with a former friend that I wish I could revisit. At the time, jealousy fogged my mind and resulted in some pretty regretful, nasty, unnecessary behavior. I know John found himself in similar situations, and it was definitely therapeutic for him to express this. Many times, art can help us talk about the emotions weā€™re too afraid to share.

Cleanup Time

The perfect track for a fresh start! And itā€™s always reminded me of NYC šŸ¤ Iā€™ll have this playing as Iā€™m walking down the streets, especially through Strawberry Fields (ā€œthe center of the circle will always be our homeā€) With it being one of the last songs we ever got from John, Iā€™ll treasure it always!

"Bless You" is my favorite for very unusual reasons. I'm autistic and this song became a huge fixation for me as soon as I heard it for the first time. It brings me a peace that few things in life bring me. The lyrics are beautiful, John missing someone but being positive about how he wants the best for the person, which can be applied to any situation in our lives when we miss someone/something but want the other side of the situation to be okay. The voice, the arrangement... I love everything about it.

Back